[NOBUGS] McStas and McXtrace releases 3.5.1 available

Peter Kjær Willendrup pkwi at dtu.dk
Mon Sep 16 21:51:37 BST 2024

Dear all,

It is finally time for a set of new McStas and McXtrace releases:  v3.5.1!

 Thanks:
 - Thanks to all members of the joint McStas-McXtrace team and input from our
   users via emails and GitHub issues alike! Further a special thanks to
   Theodor Peter Guttesen (former DTU diploma student) who has helped modernise
   our 3D visualisation!

 Most important changes going forward:
 - From release 3.5.1 McStas and McXtrace are released simultaneously and with
   the same versioning (meaning that McXtrace takes a jump from 3.2 up to 3.5)
 - With release 3.5.1 we are officially dropping support for the "legacy"
   McStas 2.7.2 release and the "legacy" McXtrace 1.7.1 release.
 - To minimize work required for platform support and builds, we are now focusing
   on fewer platforms:
   * Debian packages at packages.mccode.org are provided for x86_64 and arm64 Linux
     (Thanks to the work of Emmanuel Farhi and his team at SOLEIL, official Debian
     packages are already available in Debian Testing and Unstable
     (see https://tracker.debian.org/pkg/mccode) and should become
     widely available with next Debian Stable, after which we might drop our "own
     channel").
   * conda-forge is to become our distribution channel for "everything else", meaning
     that:
     1. Our macOS "bundles" are effectively now self-extracting conda-installers and
        REQUIRE an active internet connection during installation
     2. From a later release in the 3.5 series the same will be the case for Windows
     - We are dropping builds for ALL rpm-oriented platforms. Please use conda-forge instead.
 - We want to release more "early and often" going forward, see the linked CHANGES
   documents under conda-forge.

Both codes have received a number of bug fixes, new models and features - and to
mention everything here would quickly become too long. But those interested in the
details are recommended to read the respective CHANGELOGs for the two codes:

* https://github.com/McStasMcXtrace/McCode/blob/main/CHANGES_McStas
* https://github.com/McStasMcXtrace/McCode/blob/main/CHANGES_McXtrace

One little p.s.:

The transition to the new releases require a little extra, unexpected work on the
websites - so please expect a little website-documentation inconsistency for the next
week or two. :-)

All the best from the joint

McStas-McXtrace team

Peter Kjær Willendrup